Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Micro MWC MultiWii Flight Controller / Receiver Board

I have some quite time now, so I thought I would post some information.

I have been constructing a new quadcopter, trying to use the Micro MWC flight control board I received for my birthday.  Here is a picture of it (enlarged)...



The actual board is not much bigger than a standard SD card.  You can see where the motor connections are at the bottom.  This board has a built-in DSM2 receiver and 4 ESCs for the four motors of my quadcopter.  This FC board is strictly meant to drive brushed motors.

The most interesting part of the board, to me, is that it is a MultiWii flight controller that uses an Atmel AVR chip to run the flight control software.  I have always been interested in MultiWii because 


  1. It allows you to tweak the flight performance of the quad in all sorts of ways
  2. It's actually implemented as an Arduino sketch
  3. It has this cool configuration utility
The first step I am going to take is solder some motor connectors to the board.  I have these micro JST (1.25mm) connectors that I ordered from AliExpress. My hope is that I have polarized my current motor connector to match the orientation that I am going to solder to the board.  I'll post more about this with some photos later.

Finally, I will also have to solder a power adapter to the board.

1 comment: