Thursday, October 20, 2016

Another Diversion

I guess it is in my nature to have more than one project going at a time.  While I tend to obsess, and focus on a single project during the duration, sometime I have to back away and do something else.

So, I have put off the final steps of building my Cherry 3D Printer, to work on another fun project.  This one is related to the Arduino, but is more closely described as an ESP8266 obsession.  This little chip is like a little Arduino with built-in WiFi capabilities and it only costs a few dollars.  It's great.

Wemos D1 Mini
There are actually many ESP8266 boards available, but the one I have settled on is the Wemos D1 Mini.  It's cheap at around $4 shipped and it has a nice ecosystem of shields that make it easy to experiment with.

There are shields for...

  • Lipo Battery powering and charging
  • SD Card shield
  • Relay Shield
  • Neopixel Shield
  • Button Shield
  • etc...
 

MicroPython
The best part about the ESP8266 is it's ability to be programmed in Python!  I am talking about MicroPython of course,  This great piece of software is an amazingly complete implementation of Python 3 for a microcontroller!

I will be documenting my experiments and projects coming up.  Exciting!


No comments:

Post a Comment